Are you planning for a safari to Rwanda? Do you have a Rwandan visa? A visa is one of the requirements that you must have if you are planning for your safari to Rwanda. There are various visas that are obtainable in Rwanda for example; Transit Visa for single entry and valid for 72 hours costs $30, Entry Visa costs $30 for single entry and $50 for multiple entries, Tourist Visa $30, Family Visa goes at $30, Conference Visa costs $30 for single entry and $50 for multiple entries, Business Visa $50, East African Travel Visa costs $100. The visas are payable in cash or sterling and US dollars or by master card. The Rwandan Directorate General of Emigration and Immigration always publishes a list of visa categories and their costs. Travelers are advised to obtain their visas in advance at any Rwandan Diplomatic Mission or online.
How you can apply for Rwandan Visa.
You can apply for the visa through the Embassy in Washington DC where you will be required to submit your application form to the Embassy personally or you can post. If you choose to apply by posting, make sure you include your address record delivery or first class delivery return envelope in the application pack.
- Your application should have a valid passport of a bout 6 months.
- Applicant should deliver as required completed application form in his or her own hand writing or in type for example, Regular visa application form/East African tourist visa (EATV) application form.
- You should note that EATV visas are not purchased upon arrival without prior approval
- You should have 2 colored passport photos, white background. They should be visible and free from hair, hats or scarf.
- Applicant must provide a signed accompanying letter that entails reasons or purpose for his or her travel to Rwanda.
- A signed invitation letter withy a copy of passport or ID and residence permit or confirmation of hotel accommodation booking.
- Applicants are also required to present proof of residence in USA, Mexico, Brazil and Argentina
- Present a copy of yellow fever vaccine certificate only a copy can be provided along with application as a requirement.
- For exceptional reasons where applicants don’t have yellow fever vaccine shots for instance senior citizen and people whose health conditions don’t permit this vaccine, doctors written recommendation should be presented during arrival time.
- The payment should be by money order, cashier check or bank draft refundable. The embassy doesn’t need personal checks, credit cards or cash as mode of payment
- If you submit documents in short of one or more of the mentioned visa requirements can result into delay in processing
- Prepaid, registered and self addressed envelope should be included with an application submitted by mail.
- The visa process takes about four to fourteen business days for regular visa and four for expedited
For more information on visa requirements, visit the Rwandan High Commission: For travelers interested in resident or business or missionary multiple entry visas on entry to Rwanda, they are required to posses a UK police clearance prior their travel. The details about this are accessible through ACRO Criminal Records Office Website and it takes approximately ten working days to process. Due to high demand, you also encouraged to have adequate time between the date of travel and application.
The visa fees
It is also important for you to note that if your application form is denied or withdrawn by the applicant, the paid money is non refundable
For countries that have bilateral agreements, especially nationals from countries like Hong Kong, Philippines, Mauritius, Singapore and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC); they are obliged to visit Rwanda without a visa up to a period of about three months.
East African Community (EAC) countries
For those travelers within EAC partnership state passport specifically Burundi, Kenya and Uganda, they will be provided with six month-renewable visitors pass on their arrival at a zero cost
Visas that are provided on arrival
These types of visas only take a period of one month on arrival without prior application and beneficial countries includes all African counties, Australia, Germany, Israel, Newzealand, South Africa, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States of America; the visa cost is about $30 on arrival.
Holders of US travel document
For travelers with United States travel documents, they should get visas prior traveling to Rwanda and in case they fail to get one at the embassy or online, they are most likely to be denied boarding on the plane to Rwanda.
There is also another alternative for you for you to apply for a single entry visa online
For any inquiries about online applications, they must be directed to the Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration in Kigali, Rwanda; www.migration.gov.rw
UK emergency travel documents (ETDs) are also allowed on entry, airside transit and exit from Rwanda. In case you are traveling into Rwanda based on an ETD, you will be required to present Rwandan Immigration with reasons for the use of an ETD for instance proof of residency.
In conclusion, visa is needed for travelers interested in visiting Rwanda. With several options, you can obtain your visa in advance both online and from Rwandan Embassy near you.